7.28.2012

The Long Awaited Engagment Story

So, Rachel finally twisted my arm long enough for me to get online and share the long awaited engagement story. Okay, I am just going to say this now for all of you to know, I don't live my life based on a romantic chick flicks, so in other words, I did not make a plan of attack when it came to popping the question. So, here's the story...

It was a Saturday...June 18th to be exact... I finally had a day off of work and I was feeling ambitious. Rachel was working her butt off working for the man and was having a really tough day. I always aim to make her happy and relieve some of her stress. I learned that she was to be working until well after midnight because she was the shuttle driver for the Midnight Sun Run in Fairbanks AK. So, I had the whole afternoon to run "errands." I had it my mind that I was going to ask her to marry me; how and when was never decided... but that day was the day I was going to man up.

Rach would call me on my phone asking me where I was and why I wasn't going to hang out with her at work. It made her upset when I told her that I had to run some errands and wasn't able to come by. No, it was not my intention to make her upset, but I usually hung out with Rach on my days off when she had to work. I told her I would come by the bus yard when I was done to see if she was there. She said in a very sad tone..."ookkaaayyy..." This only motivated me to speed things up.

I knew what Rachel liked in a wedding/engagement ring and I had been going from store to store searching for that ring and I found it days before. I ran by the store and told the dude behind the counter, "I know exactly what I want, I want that one, and can you box it up?" Needless to say that I was in a rush.

I have the ring and now flowers to make Rach even more happy. So, now I was ready to do this...

I came by her work and by luck she was there waiting for her next run. I came in and did my typical greeting and sat next to her. I left the flowers and the ring in my car. Rachel was looking stressed and upset with the day she had and was looking forward to its end. I whispered to Rach, "Hey, I got a surprise for you in my car." For those who know Rachel, she hates surprises, so I got that look she gives when she is not very pleased....yet to me, it was pretty funny. So, she pulled enough energy to walk out to my car. I told her to close her eyes and keep them close till I said so. Reluctantly she did so. I opened the car and pulled out the flowers...her favorite flowers, oriental lilies; they were even close to her favorite color. She opened her eyes and was pleased to see the flowers I had gotten. It made her a little bit more happy. I started to think, "now how am I going to give her the ring and ask her??" Noticing that Rachel is a bus driver and can't haul around the flowers with her, I told her I had yet another surprise for her, one that she can take with her on the bus. I knew she was thinking about chocolate or even Wendy's, but she was dead wrong. I reached into the center compartment of the car and pulled out the box. I smoothly opened it and presented it to her and asked...Rach, will you be my slave master......just kidding....I asked her to be my wife. She of course said yes and was a very happy camper for the rest of her work day and I was too, she said yes.

The Manly man of the North Land,
Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment